Links on the topic of race and diversity in music theory, and resources for those interested in developing an explicitly anti-racist music theory curriculum.
Please feel free to contact us with more resources we should add! (email@example.com)!
Curriculum discussion and content
- Anti-Racist Music Theory Examples (collaborative spreadsheet created by the Composers of Color Resource Project)
- “Diversity in Music Theory” (from SMT’s Committee on Race and Ethnicity)
- “Toward an Anti-Racist Post-Tonal Analysis” (UChicago, Nov. 12, 2020)
Content by Music Theorist, Dr. Philip Ewell
- Dr. Ewell’s homepage
- Video of Dr. Ewell’s plenary talk at the Society for Music Theory (SMT) in 2019
- Dr. Ewell’s academic article: Philip Ewell, “Music Theory and the White Racial Frame,” Music Theory Online 26 no. 2 (September 2020)
- Dr. Ewell’s blog
Popular media articles
- Kofi Agawu – “Tonality as a colonizing force in African music”
- Adam Neely – “Music Theory and White Supremacy”